banner

Monday, July 31, 2006

Henry Darger

I'm watching a dvd about the Chicago artist Henry Darger (1892-1973), the reclusive artist who died and left behind a 15,000 page novel and thousands of paintings of his make believe war. The book is titled In the Realms of the Unreal and tells the story of 8 sisters who lead a revolt on behalf of the enslaved children of their world. I've seen his stuff before but I think he is generally mis-characterized. He's not really some creepy sexual predator at all but one of the most original, prolific artists of the 20th century. Here is some of his stuff.




2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I love this artist! I just discovered him at the Museum of American Folk Art. I have the movie queued on my Netflix... Thanks!

4:08 PM  
Blogger Dawn Wolf said...

I am just today finding out about this man, Henry Darger. Incredible piece you featured. Couldn't see the second one. I am posting this link to a piece I have on hime today.

2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home